A few years ago I came across the writings of a Rabbi named Abraham Heschel. I would like to share a piece from the book I asked for Wonder that truly inspired me. It is entitled Dreaming for God.
Prayer is frequently an inner vision, an intense dreaming for God – the reflection of the Divine intentions in the soul of man. We anticipate the fulfillment of the hope shared by both God and man. To pray is to dream in league with God, to envision His holy visions.
This little piece of writing spoke to my heart in a deep and encouraging way. I have spent many, many hours before God in prayer on behalf of the vulnerable of Africa. During these times of prayer I often found myself shifting from “asking” mode into “visioning” mode.
- Perhaps what was happening is that my prayers became God’s answers;
- Perhaps I started envisioning His holy visions;
- Perhaps my hopes turned into hopes shared and ignited by God Himself.
- Perhaps I started dreaming in league with God.
Just the phrase ‘dreaming in league with God’ makes my heart beat faster. Can you imagine what our world will look like if each one of us started dreaming in God’s league, not our own silly, small, selfish league?
I love the idea of God dreaming through me … and you. I love the fact that as we sincerely seek Him in prayer, opening our minds to His voice, our very prayers can become God’s voice speaking to us. I love the idea that He uses our prayers to reflect His intentions and His hopes for us.
It was through this process that Helping Hands was birthed. Through this same process, The African Orchard Project was birthed. What started off as a prayer ended up becoming His Divine intentions reflecting in my soul. My life has never been the same since.
I would like to encourage you to make prayer a daily part of your life.
- The kind of prayer that is willing to be still and quiet rather than rattling off a request list.
- The kind of prayer that intentionally draws the mind back to God when it wanders away.
- The kind of prayer that will meditate and reflect on scripture because therein is the pure voice of God.
- The kind of prayer that will dare to dream in league with God.
I do warn you however – this kind of prayer will transform your life into a ministry. Oh, how I pray that God dream through you!
“Seek the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.” – Proverbs 3:5+6
Question: In what way has your prayer turned into a ministry? I invite you to join in the discussion by leaving a comment.